Choosing a Nursing Home in Your Area
About 40 percent of people over the age of 65 will spend at least some time in a nursing home. Most stay for just a few months, recuperating after an injury or illness while others are long-term residents. Either way, choosing the right nursing home can be a difficult task. Many nursing homes offer a variety of services including medical care, supervision, companionship, and activity that is not often possible at home. But what truly differentiates one provider from another?
We have put together a list of tips for choosing the best nursing home to guide you in your search.
Tips For Choosing The Right Nursing Home Near You
- Always visit the facility in-person. It’s helpful to call ahead to schedule a time to meet with an Admissions representative; however, requests for “drop-ins” tours should always be welcomed. You need to get a good sense of where your loved one will be cared for, so it’s critical to take a tour of the nursing home you are considering.
- Take note of your first impressions. Does the facility look clean? How does it smell from the first moment you enter? Does the staff seem friendly? Do the residents you encounter look well-kept (nails, hair, clean clothing). Be sure to ask yourself these questions upon arrival. Oftentimes, the answers can be big deciding factors!
- Ask friends or co-workers for their thoughts and experiences. Often the best referral is a “word of mouth” referral. Do you know anyone that has ever needed the services of a local nursing home? What were their experiences? You want to bring your loved one to a trusted facility that you or someone close to you may be familiar with.
- Take note of the staffing. Do the staff have easy access to continuing education and training programs at the nursing home? Check with the administrators to ensure that the nursing home does not hire people with skilled nursing care that have any record of mistreatment or neglect in the nurse aide registry There should be a licensed nurse at the facility at all hours of every day. There should also be a registered nurse or RN, there at least 8 hours daily.
- The home’s diligence in meeting state health and safety standards. Hancock Hall is a 5-star rated skilled nursing facility by Medicare. This means we meet and exceed all expectations and standards set by the State. Additionally, our staff members stay on top of each resident’s medical care in a timely, efficient manner.
Why Choose Hancock Hall?
Hancock Hall has been serving the community since 1984. Our longevity not only speaks to the quality of our services but to our dedication to providing premier senior care in Danbury, CT. As a family-owned skilled nursing facility, we focus on providing a bright, comfortable and clean setting, with many amenities.
As mentioned above, a good nursing home provides multiple services. With that in mind, Hancock Hall has created the ultimate holistic experience for seniors. We provide a home-like experience for each of our residents while meeting all of their additional needs including but not limited to 24/7 skilled nursing care, nutrition, recreational activities, and rehabilitation services.
At Hancock Hall, we treat each one of our nursing home residents as individuals. We focus on maximizing a resident’s quality of life during their stay while individualizing their treatment plans and overall experience.
We promote quality of life for residents and peace of mind for families. Our interdisciplinary professional staff has one priority: The well-being of each and every resident. It’s not only their commitment, but it’s their passion.